Sunday, March 20, 2011

Entertaining myself whilst home alone - Day Two: Nick Jr. told me I'm a really good square-finder. Is it too late to change my major again?

Remember how this was going to be a webcomic? Yeah, lately I've been far too distracted to focus on drawing weekly, especially when I don't have a domain name draining my wallet like I did with Chums in highschool. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but not until I can get focused. I'll update with a full comic when I can, but for the foreseeable future, it looks like it'll just be doodles and sketches.

That said, I'm taking a page out of my bud Seth Kumpf's book and doing weekly comic reviews. I buy a fair share of floppies each week, and I really enjoy discussing them, though I'm usually limited to talking to Seth. Reviewing here at at least gives me a reason to check back on the blog weekly and type something.

Also, Seth and I are looking into a weekly comic podcast. Anyone interested? Seth? You're the only one following me...

Carrying on:

(What I grab normally, plus anything else that may have caught my eye.)



Batman #708 -
(6/10) Thank god this is my last issue of Batman Main my shop ordered for me since I canceled. Ever since Morrison left and Tony Daniel took over, it's been going downhill faster and faster. He's only decent as an artist, but pretty awful as a writer. What's with everyone getting a 10-year-old female sidekick? But I'm ranting...thankfully, this issue was written by David Hine, and while it certainly wasn't bad, there wasn't much too convince me to continue, especially since the next portion of the story takes place in Red Robin.

Xombie #1 - (8/10) This was a fun first issue, but while I was very amused by the strange, and often goofy, supernatural happenings in this book, I'm not sure if I'll come back for seconds. Maybe if I have a slow week, but I'm trying not to pick up too many new titles.

Bad Dog #4 - (8/10) Man, I love me some Joe Kelly. It wasn't hard for me to forgive the eighty-year hiatus, but the recap page mocking it's own delay had me laughing and saying, "Okay, Kelly...let's go." As for the issue itself, it was amusing as usual, but what plot I recall developing in #3 seems to have halted. Still, well worth the price of admission.

Invincible Iron Man #502 - (8/10) I won't lie - I was hesitant about introducing Doc Ock, especially this strange (but cool) new version, into Iron Man. However, Matt Fraction continues to write a thoroughly enjoyable title. Doc Ock presents a unique threat to both Tony Stark, his friends, and his ego. The addition of Pepper Potts was a fun surprise, as well. I look forward to the next issue.

Brightest Day #22 - (5/10) I f***ing hate Firestorm. Not really as a character(s), I guess, but his story is by far the least interesting of all in Brightest Day. And this issue was all about him. I could not have cared less. Plus, it was pretty stupid, and had a sudden convenient "I fixed everything because I'm the White Lantern and you don't get to question me, reader" moment that ticked me off. The fact that the lantern scanned the Anti-Monitor had me curious as to why, but really, let's not fool ourselves...this was a stupid issue. In fact, I only gave it a 5 because Deadman appeared on the final page, pointing his ring in Firestorm's face. Here's to hoping #23 opens up with him blasting him (SPOILER ALERT: It won't).

The Unwritten #23 - (10/10) Confession time: I love The Unwritten with every fiber of my soul. You will probably never see me give it any lower than a 9. It's smartly written, beautifully drawn, and full of so much intriguing mystery that I can never get enough. Every month, this is the one book I look forward to with my pants unzipped. This issue deals with giving us more information as to who/what Tom may be, and how his abilities work. Plus, some fun literary nods, as usual. The only problem I have is that Mike Carey stole my idea of titling each scene separately, before I even got to use it much myself. Rat bastard. Seriously, though, pick this book up.

Iceman & Angel (One-Shot) - (9/10) I almost didn't pick this up, but shortly before I picked up my comics for the week, I saw that it was Brian Clevinger was writing it. I couldn't pass it up. I was a huge fan of 8-Bit Theatre back in highschool, and now I absolutely love Atomic Robo. Clevinger has a real knack for writing smart humour, and while this issue started a little slow, it quickly put a big goofy grin on my face. Clevinger is one of the few writers that still understands that first and foremost comics should be fun. I know some people really love Juan Doe, but I don't see it. This book is drawn well, and I certainly don't have any complaints, but it wasn't anything that really wowed me. He really hasn't impressed me outside of his propaganda-style covers.

Avengers: Children's Crusade: Young Avengers (One-Shot...sorta) - (7/10) I'm really a fan of the Young Avengers, mostly because - much like Damian Wayne - it's a concept that shouldn't work. I have the original series and YA: Presents in trades, and I really wanted to get Children's Crusade in trade as well, but I couldn't wait. This "one-shot" is more or less a side-story that ties into the main mini-series. Because of that, it feels mostly forgettable and unnecessary. I say "mostly" because it's a flashback bookended by an interesting potential what-if future scenario that ends on an interesting cliffhanger tying directly into Children's Crusade. The best comparison I can make is Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. It was a "sequel" to AC2, but was mostly a bunch of pointless-but-fun missions and a multiplayer mode designed to cash in on the highly profitable franchise. However, it was framed by Desmond's story that really pushed the main plot forward and ended on an important cliffhanger that answered some questions and raised even more, leaving you craving the next installment. A:CC:YA was the same: The flashback tale was forgettable, but it was a reason to return to characters I've really grown to love. However, the what-if future scenario that frames it was a fun surprise, and certainly left me craving the next issue of CC proper. Wow, I wrote a lot.


(Wherein I discuss anything else that I read or interested me this week.)



Gotham Central: Book One - (8/10) I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I've heard good stuff about it for a long time, and almost picked up before, but my local Borders never carried any of the hardcovers before Book 2. Now that they're re-releasing them in TPB, I ordered the first when I was on Amazon. It started a little slow, and the large cast made it difficult me to keep track of everyone at first, but when it picked up it really began to blow me away. I love how it's a book about the police department dealing with normal crime, supercrime, and the Batman - yet, the Bat appears on maybe under 10 pages in the entire book. My one problem with the book wasn't with the series itself, but the back cover blurb. It gave too much away. Sure, nowadays many know the secret Renee Montoya has that is exposed halfway through the book, but the back cover doesn't even attempt to hide it. It even spoils a minor shock that occurs like four pages in. Let me be surprised...

Human Target: Second Chances - (9/10) I bought the first volume of Human Target because I had heard great things, but it took a while to grow on me. I almost didn't grab the second, but, boy, am I glad I did. For those who don't know, Human Target is about Christopher Chance, a body guard and master of disguise, who protects his clients by becoming them. The stories are very well conceived and expertly executed. There are several twists and turns that I was genuinely surprised by. Many times I'd begin to think I had outsmarted the book, but even when I had, it still got me to doubt myself. If I were to make a complaint, it'd be that it can often be difficult to tell who is Chance and who is his employer, but that's kind of the point. Sometimes Chance doesn't even know himself. Very cool stuff going on in this series. I eagerly await the third and final trade.

In Bruges - (7/10) Watched this with Seth last night because Session 9 had no audio. This is a hard movie to rate. I enjoyed it, and I'd certainly recommend it to the curious, but I don't know if I'd ever watch it again. The plot was too simple for me. I pretty much predicted almost the entire thing, and I guess some of my disappointment came from the fact that I expected to be proven wrong and wasn't. I also don't know where it falls, category-wise. It starts with this weird dry humour, but it never really had me laughing that often. It also makes sudden jumps to drama, which was done fairly well. It wasn't really a comedy, but it was making too many jokes to be a real drama. There was also a shoot-out near the end, but I definitely wouldn't categorize it as action. It was in this weird limbo inbetween. When it was a comedy, it stopped being dramatic. When it was dramatic, it stopped any hint of comedy (yes, that's the point, I know). It was almost watching two completely different movies that were spliced together, featuring the same characters, locations, and basic events. I really can't make up my mind on it.


PS - I basically modeled my review format off of Seth's, although I adopted a 10-point system because his 5-point system is retarded. There's just too big of a difference between 4 and 5 for me. 5 would have to be perfect in every way and 4 would encompass almost anything that would be worth my money. It does make it easier to rate the shit, though. I don't know. He also picks his favourite for the week, but I think I've jerked it enough to The Unwritten, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment