Friday, March 25, 2011

"Wooooooooooo!" "Yeah!"

So Seth and I drove down to Columbus Wednesday, a five-hour round trip. Seth's local comic shop, The Laughing Ogre, was celebrating the new Future Foundation #1 by bringing in some local artists to do sketches. If you bought the variant blank white cover of FF #1, you could get a sketch. One of the artists was David Willis of Shortpacked!, which has been a personal favorite of mine for some years now. Of course, I had to go. Unfortunately, I was house/puppy-sitting for my parents, who were on vacation for the week. I locked Rascal up, but somehow he escaped when I had a friend stop in to check on him, then again when I came home. Thing is, his cage was still bolted up. Freaky.

Anyway, review time...






Batman, Inc. #4
- (7/10) I'm really torn on this issue. First off, I was stoked to find that we were getting another issue just two weeks after the last, especially with the delays. But I feel this chapter was hit-or-miss. As an overall extension of the story as a whole, I guess it was fine, but standing on its own, I really don't know. The flashbacks were fun, but they didn't seem to balance humor and serious story-telling as they should have, both in writing and in art. Seth mentioned that Robin was amusing, and some of his semi-meta commentary had me smirking, it overall felt...wrong. Morrison usually handles these nostalgic and goofy references more smoothly than this. In R.I.P., the "Batman of Zur En Arrh" felt natural, whereas these flashbacks in Inc. were jarring and almost completely different in tone than Plot A. Also, the "reveal" about Batwoman in the main story made me stop and go, "yeabuhwha?" I think a lot of the problem is the new idea of "drawing the line at 2.99" at DC. The drop to 20 pages per issue really seems to be hurting Morrison. Things feel crammed and condensed. I trust Morrison to make everything work in the end, but this issue felt like a stutter in an overall phenomenal series.

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine #5 - (10/10) This series really shouldn't work. Two popular main characters. Top writing/art team. It could honestly be phoned it in and it's guaranteed to sell. But this miniseries is amazing. It balances humor, story, character, and references perfectly. From the recap to the end I was entertained completely. I heard some crap from a few about the revelation about Spidey's mystery dream girl, but I thought the answer was funny and fit the tone of the story. With the finale coming in #6, I'm a little sad to see it go, but I know that it's self-contained nature is what made it work so well.

Green Lantern #64 - (9/10) After a lot of hype, "The War of the Green Lanterns" finally begins, and I must say...it looks to be a fun ride. Much like "Sinestro War" before, it's going to be self-contained within the pages of all three Lantern titles. I didn't know how to feel about this new War, especially since the Lanterns really haven't had a chance to rest since Rebirth ages ago. However, it kicks it into gear immediately, and I was hooked. The reason for the Lanterns to turn on each other is a convenience, but it serves its purpose and lead to an engaging ending. Also, Part 2 picked up immediately this week in...

Green Lantern Corps #58 - (8/10) In Part 2 of "The War of the Green Lanterns", we abandon Hal to focus on John, Kyle, and Ganthet. There's a two page summary of John and Kyle's origins that brings everyone up to speed easily, but also sets the emotional tone for the rest of the issue. We also learn why Hal, Kyle, and John aren't immediately affected by the cause of the Lantern revolt, and while it's a convenience again, it works for what was needed. The was also a moment towards the end that had me staring at a panel in disbelief. I'm really looking forward to Part 3 next week in Emerald Warriors.

Deadpool #34 - (5/10) This whole space arc needs to end. I don't know what it is with Deadpool. Way knows how to write Deadpool and the humor, but some issues and storylines can just bomb. I almost dropped it until the two-issue vampire arc won me back, but this space setting is just stupid. I hate it. I really can't even articulate anything more than it's dumb and doesn't make sense. This issue did have a genuine laugh or two, but not enough to save the stupid plot. It certainly doesn't help that the alien designs are uninspired. It really felt like Way had no idea what more to do with Deadpool and stalled by throwing him in space to distract us. I'll let the final issue next month slide if it sucks as well, but after that he better pump it into overtime to win me back.

Neonomicon #4 - (4/10) Man, I really don't know what to say about this. It was hyped as Alan Moore's last series outside of LXG, so I felt I had to give it a shot, especially since it was only 4 issues. I mean Moore + Lovecraft ≠ FAIL, right? Issue 1 was slow, but had me interested, but issue 2 and 3 pretty much turned into monster rape. Seriously. Barely censored, gratuitous, nothing-but-this-for-32-pages-aren't-you-glad-you-spent-4-dollars monster rape. But as a completionist, I felt I had to get the last issue...if nothing else than for closure and maybe an apology from Moore. Well, at least there was no more rape. Some answered were given, but it was all pretty much an expository infodump. The idea was interesting, I guess (I had typed it here, but I want Seth to read it, so that I'm not the only one to suffer), but it felt more like a rape-tastic build-up to this reveal. Still, it was a cool concept - the execution was just...wrong.

Future Foundation #1 - (7/10) I had to buy this for three reasons. 1: I buy almost anything with Spider-Man because I have a problem. 2: David Willis sketch covers. 3: To support the idea of change and shaking up the status quo in comics. I feel that every time someone tries something new, half of the audience hates it for not being like every issue before it, and the other half refuses to give it a chance because "nothing ever sticks in comics". And because that I feel that too many writers are scared to experiment like Morrison and FF's own Hickman do. That said, this issue was just "okay", but it's understandable really. It's a #1 under a new title, but it's still pretty much the next issue of Fantastic Four. There's a lot of the obligatory mourning for Johnny Storm, as well as some exposition explaining the new status. It had a lot of hand-holding for those new readers that jumped on to the title change. This is not a bad thing at all, but it does make the comic slightly boring. Not a lot really happens. However, the final page reveal had me so shocked and intrigued enough to at least buy #2.

Amazing Spider-Man #656 - (8/10) Spider-Man has been consistently "decent", but since the wonderful execution of #655, the quality has jumped to "great". Spidey deals with his promise that "no one dies" on his watch, extending this promise even to the villain. The idea that his spider-sense is still gone since #654 is actually a compelling plot point, leading to (yet another) costume change, but it makes sense here. And I really like how it's addressed that his sixth sense affects Spidey's actions more than even he was aware, such as subconsciously aiming his webbing to points that can hold his weight. I almost had a hissy fit when he shot a spider-tracer at the villain, but I calmed down when he remembered that it was honed into his spider-sense. Very strong character- and plot-writing here, and I eagerly look forward to the next issue dealing with the death of his late best friend, Johnny Storm.







David Willis - (10/10) Seth and I met David Willis, author of Shortpacked! and Dumbing of Age, this week, and he was such a good sport. He put up with all our crazy sketch requests, our in-jokes, and even us not leaving him alone for probably almost an hour until we finally left. And then came back. Such a cool guy, and I was so stoked to meet him. I must've shaken his hand like 5 times. Plus, he drew some knockout covers.

Long Car Rides - (2/10) I f***ing hate car rides. If we ever go anywhere again, Seth is driving. Also, we learned Seth and I suck at car high fives.

Redbox - (0/10) My brother, Kyle, and I went to three different gee-dee Redbox machines looking for Jonah Hex so we could complain about how much it sucked. The third finally had it, but, after three tries, refused to spit it out of the damn machine. Needless to say, we were pissed.

Toy Thor Hammers - (9/10) Both the large electronic Mjolnir, as well as the small foam one for the new movie are sweet. I carried the smaller one around Walmart and kept smacking Kyle with it. We also had a swordfight in the middle of the toy aisle with some Pirates of the Caribbean weapons. No, we aren't 5. Yes, we know how to have fun.

Kinect - (6/10) Kyle and I danced like idiots in front of people at Best Buy. Then it stopped recognizing our motions and we suddenly felt like fools. Still, it was kinda fun.


David Willis. Seriously, this guy was so cool. He put up with all our shit and drew some awesome covers for us. First was my request for "Batman as all four members of the Fantastic Four":

Then Seth asked for himself in the Future Foundation, with everyone so glad that Johnny died and he joined, and Sue "sexing him up":


To which, of course, I asked for day 2 of Seth's time on the team, with him dead and everyone saying that he sucked and that they should have listened to me:


Then my request for the Ragged Rider and Batman high-fiving each other, saying that Axe Cop sucks because we're jealous of its success. Dave only had our description of Cowboy Mummy to work with, and I think he did a good job:


Finally, there was Seth's awesome idea for a two-cover spread of us as Future Foundation members:


We also left and came back later. We asked for a cover of us with Dave in the middle (all in FF uniforms, of course), with both us saying "Andrew rules" and "Seth is sweet", and Dave asking who we were. When he finished it and handed it to us, Seth replied, "No...that one's for you," and doing a suave double-point. We wanted him to remember us if we run into him at the next convention, because we like making all of our celebrity idols uncomfortable. I think I might rub Grant Morrison's bald head, and we all know Seth wants to rape Skottie Young. I have documented proof.

See ya next week! (I can't make the underline go away and I give up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment